Taking a two day trip to Hickory, North Carolina (a seven hour trip) we saw five noteworthy places/things:
1. The Nantahalo Outdoor Center in Bryson City, North Carolina. It’s a 500 acre outdoor center located at the intersection of the Nantahala River and the Applachian Trail.
We stopped for a look-see. It was good to stop driving after driving several hours and watch the kayakers and paddleboarders. AND I bought some long, silver feather earrings in the gift shop.
While trying to take a selfie, an instructor stopped and asked if we’d like help. We gladly accepted.
2. A most unusual convenience store in North Carolina : incence was burning at the register and for sale were long dresses, incense, power tools, and other unusual things. I bought my favorite incense- patchouli. Bruce resisted the temptation to buy a chain saw.
3. Phil‘s Bar–B–Que in Black Mountain, North Carolina. The vinegar coleslaw was good! (The barbecue was average.)
The ceiling was covered in hats:
The decor was funky:
Bathrooms were cool:
Phil’s BBQ has a “cheeky” store motto: “The best butts in the mountains.”
4. At an intersection I caught sight of my favorite vehicle :
5. But the best thing we saw was this camper (with the best “bumper” stickers.)
Yup, lots of hunky-dory things that day.
It was a good road trippin’ day.